Recipe of the Month (ROM)
As the cool weather of fall approaches, the craving fro comfort food returns. This recipe is sure to satisfy with a sophisticated take on an old-fashioned favorite. Upgrade with lobster and a trio of scrumptious cheese, a simple green salad and a glass of wine will be all you need to complete this meal!
- 1 qt whole milk
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 6 oz smoked Gouda cheese, grated
- 6 oz aged white Cheddar, grated
- 6 oz Grana Padano cheese, grated
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 1/2 lb cooked lobster meat
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
Over low heat, warm the milk in a small saucepan, but don’t boil it.
Add 6 Tbsp of the butter to a large pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic, saute until translucent. Add the flour and cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. Whisk in hot milk and cook until thickened and smooth, about 2 minutes.
Remove the pot from heat and add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cheese, stirring with a spoon. Add the cooked pasta and lobster, stir well. Place the mixture in a greased 13-by-9-inch casserole dish.
Melt the remaining 2 Tbsp of butter, combine with panko bread crumbs, and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.
Pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy!